Friday, July 2, 2010

Book Beginnings (1) & Friday 56 (3)

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

I loved this book from the moment I read the blurb on the back:

When Clary Fray heads out Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder. Much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with odd markings. This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons--and keeping the odd werewolves and vampires in line. It's also her first meeting with gorgeous, golden-haired Jace. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in an ordinary mundane like Clary? And how did she suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

WOW. Let me just say that this book has sucked me in from the get go. There hasn't been anything but action. Its got everything you could want in a book. Vampires, werewolves, and even handsome guys. I may only be on page 112 out of 485, but lets just say that this may be a fast read [if it werent for class and other events happening, and if I could stay off of blogger long enough].

Okay so here is the first line:

"'You've have got to be kidding me,'" the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest."

Okay so not really much action at this part, but trust me the next sentence really sets it off. But I really like this description. I can actually see a bouncer outside of a club with his folded arms. It kinda made me think of the bouncer in Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr.

So if you gals and guys are interested in participating in this meme I look forward to reading your thoughts.


Rules:

* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of this blog.
*Post a link along with your post back to this blog.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
 
City of Bones has been on my TBR list for a long time. I finally got a chance to check it out from my local library.
 
So here is my Friday 56:
 
   "'You have to give her time. Demon poison is strong stuff, and she's a mundane. She hasn't got runes to keep her strong like we do.'
    'Mundies die awfully easily, don't they?'
    'Isabelle, you know it's bad luck to talk about death in a sickroom.'"
 
How you decide to join the fun. I look forward to reading your Friday 56!
 

3 comments:

  1. Interesting sentences. Makes you wonder.

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, its not a great opening sentence, but as long as the book takes off, that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing some your thoughts!