Saturday, November 12, 2011

Spotlight: Eileen Cook {The Education of Hailey Kendrick}

The Education of Hailey Kendrick

How would you describe The Education of Hailey Kendrick? 

I would describe it by asking, what if the girl who had everything lost it all? Hailey is a popular student at an exclusive boarding school. When she gets involved in a prank gone wrong her life crashes around her and she has to decide how far she'll go to get her old life back (or decide if she wants it back at all.) 

Which of your characters do you feel you relate to the most and why? 

Oooh hard question. This is like asking someone who has kids which one they like best. I tend to relate the most to the character that I am currently writing. I suspect that is because I am spending all my time inside their head. 

Were you a reader in your teen years and if so, who was your favorite author?

I've always been a huge reader. I love books. I have zero control at bookstores. When I was growing up there wasn't nearly as many YA authors and books as there are now. I did read everything Judy Blume ever wrote and I had this elaborate fantasy that she would come and tell me I was her secret long lost daughter and then move me to her home where we would both write books. 

What one 2012 release are you most looking forward to reading this year? 

Well, of course I'm looking forward to my book, Unraveling Isobel coming out. It's a bit of a gothic ghost story type thing. I'm also really looking forward to Denise Jaden's Never Enough, the Right and the Real by Joelle Anthony and the sequel to Divergent. I'm not sure if Maureen Johnson's sequel to In the Name of the Star will be out in 2012, but I hope so! 

Are you currently in the process of writing a sequel or newer book? 

I am currently working on edits for a new book. Right now it is called Shady Sadie, but the title may change. It is about Sadie, a teenage con-artist. When she realizes that she looks a lot like an age enhanced photo of a missing girl she decides to pull the ultimate con- until she begins to suspect she may actually really be the missing girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing some your thoughts!