Saturday, November 12, 2011

Soptlight: P.J. Hoover {Solstice}

Solstice

Website
Book Trailer



P. J. Hoover first fell in love with Greek mythology in sixth grade thanks to the book Mythology by Edith Hamilton. After a fifteen year bout as an electrical engineer designing computer chips for a living, P. J. decided to take her own stab at mythology and started writing books for kids and teens. P. J. is also a member of THE TEXAS SWEETHEARTS & SCOUNDRELS. When not writing, P. J. spends time with her husband and two kids and enjoys practicing Kung Fu, solving Rubik's cubes, and watching Star Trek. Her first novel for teens, Solstice, takes place in a Global Warming future and explores the parallel world of mythology beside our own. Her middle grade fantasy novels, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, and The Necropolis, chronicle the adventures of a boy who discovers he’s part of two feuding worlds hidden beneath the sea.

----------------------------------------

Thanks so much for letting me be here, Ashley! I am super honored! And Happy Birthday. Yay for 21 :]

How would you describe Solstice?

SOLSTICE is set at least eighteen years in the future when global warming is basically killing the earth. This girl, Piper, gets a mysterious box as a present for her eighteenth birthday, and her entire world shifts. She discovers that, in addition to her global warming world, there’s this world of mythology, and somehow she’s deeply connected to it. Her mother is psychotic and won’t give her any freedom, so when Piper gets a rare opportunity for freedom, she seizes it. And the next thing she knows, her best friend almost dies, she visits the Underworld, and gods are walking the earth. And that’s only in the first eighty pages :]

Which of your characters do you feel you relate to the most and why?

The characters in SOLSTICE are created from my imagination solely, and don’t match people I know in real life. Sure, I use bits and pieces of so many people to create so many different parts of characters, but with SOLSTICE, there are not definite matches. As for which character I relate to the most, I’d go with Chloe. She’s fun but smart and looks out for her best friend. Plus she likes to walk on the wild side just a bit :]

Were you a reader in your teen years and if so, who was your favorite author?

As a teen, I read all the time. That said, mostly what I enjoyed was adult science fiction or fantasy, or classics like The Odyssey, Oedipus Rex, and Beowulf. As for my adult SFF favorite authors, there are so many. I loved Tolkien, David Eddings, Roger Zelazny, Terry Brooks, and Isaac Asimov, just to name a few. The list could go on and on, and I could talk all day about it, but I’ll keep it at this.

What one 2012 release are you most looking forward to reading this year?

I’d have to say it’s the sequel to DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth, INSURGENT. I loved DIVERGENT. For me, it was the book I wished I’d written because it had me hanging on every aspect of it. I can’t wait for the sequel.

Are you currently in the process of writing a sequel or newer book?

I’m working on a middle grade and a young adult novel, both fantasy. I never talk much about unpublished works, but I am managing to keep myself busy. And yes, there are definite plans for a sequel to SOLSTICE!

Thank you again for letting me be here! I appreciate the support!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing some your thoughts!