Thursday, November 10, 2011

Invisible {Interview & Book Excerpt}

Tour Banner

Today I would like to welcome Jeanne Bannon to Ashley Suzanne. Come on in, kick back and enjoy a hot cup of cocoa!
Release Date: September 30, 2011
Publisher: Solstice Publishing
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 186
Format: Paperback and Ebook
INVISIBLE_COVER (sm)
Lola’s not pretty. Lola’s not popular. Lola wishes she could disappear … and then one day she does just that... For seventeen-year-old Lola Savullo, life is a struggle. Born to funky parents who are more in than she could ever be, Lola’s dream of becoming a writer makes her an outsider even in her own home. Bullied and despised, Lola still has the support of her best pal Charlie and Grandma Rose. Not only is she freakishly tall, Lola’s a big girl and when forced to wear a bathing suit at her summer job as a camp counselor, Lola’s only escape from deep embarrassment seems to be to literally vanish. Soon after, she discovers the roots of her new “ability”. Slowly, with Charlie’s help, Lola learns to control the new super power. The possibilities are endless. Yet power can be abused, too… Then, when tragedy strikes, Lola must summon her inner strength, both at home and at school. She has to stand up for herself, despite the temptations and possibilities of her newfound super power. A coming-of-age story that will warm the heart.
oldswirl

For some reason I actually like this cover! I know that it is a little plain, but it has a lot of mystery behind it.
CR - 3

oldswirl

How would you describe Invisible?
 
Invisible is about a teenage girl named Lola. Lola's not pretty, she's not popular. As a matter of fact, she's picked on at school and doesn't quite fit in with her own family. She wishes she could disappear and one day, she does. Lola now has to learn how to deal with her newfound superpower and the temptation it holds for revenge. I would categorize Invisible as magical realism. It's for young adults (hopefully with cross-over appeal).
Which of your characters do you feel you relate to the most and why?
 
I relate to Lola the most and the reason is that when I was in grades 7 and 8, I was bullied. I feel Lola's pain and her desire to just not be seen. Obviously the experience of being picked on, even though it only lasted two school years, stayed with me long enough to come out in my writing.
Were you a reader in your teen years and if so, who was your favorite author?
 
Yes, I was always a reader. Though I never read fiction for teens. I would pick up whatever novel was lying around the house that my mom or dad had read. I remember reading books by authors like Jeffery Archer and Sidney Sheldon as a very young teen. Later I read anything and everything by Stephen King. And in my eyes, he's da man!
What one 2011 release are you most looking forward to reading this year?
 
I'm looking forward to the release of a book written by a friend of mine. It's titled The Girl in the Box, by Sheila Dalton. It's due out the end of November.
Are you currently in the process of writing a sequel or newer book?
 
I'm at the end of rewriting a paranormal thriller titled Dark Angel. I actually started this book before Invisible. It's much longer than Invisible and I've been working on it for over two years. Hopefully it will be ready to shop around by the end of the year.
oldswirl


Book Excerpt

Chapter Three
I always leave Grandma Rose’s apartment with a smile on my face and an ache in my heart. I wish my mother were like her. How lucky for my mom to have such a wonderful, almost normal, mother. I’m stuck with a parent in an ever-present state of adolescence, whose life’s mission is to desperately hang onto what’s left of her looks. My mom, with her rat’s nest of hair stacked high on her head, dyed cherry red with chunky blonde highlights and dark brown lowlights, and extensions thrown in for good measure. A woman can’t ever have too much hair, she’s forever saying. Giving me her version of what passes as parental advice. I prefer Gran’s words of wisdom – “extensions make a woman look trampy” and “dye your hair only when the white comes in.” It seems more dignified, because I think a woman can have too much hair.
Dad’s just as bad, with his funky jeans, Ed Hardy T-shirts, pointy-toed boots, pierced ears, tattoos and a soul patch. He’s going to be fifty next year, for God’s sake. The thought makes me cringe. I live with dim-witted middle-aged teenagers.
Gran tells me all the time it’s not what’s on the outside that’s important and I know she’s right. I suppose I’m a bit of a hypocrite, since I’m always complaining about my weight or my height, or the fact I don’t have a boyfriend. But I’m supposed to be obsessed with fitting in and with my looks; after all, I’m the teenager.
It’s only a ten-minute walk home from Gran’s. I tilt my face toward the sun, soaking in the warmth of the spring day as I make my way along familiar streets. When I approach the park on the corners of Whiteside Avenue and Moorehouse Drive, I stop dead. Sudden dread causes the beat of blood to fill my ears.
There are three boys and a girl - Nino Campese, Tyler Campbell, his girlfriend Julia and Jon Kingsbury. They’re seniors like me and even though we’ve known each other since kindergarten, once adolescence hit and separated the weak from the strong, the cool from the nerd, I became prey. I was hunted by those better looking, and with more attitude, simply for their entertainment.
I plunge my hands into the pockets of my jean jacket and hang my head. Taking large quick steps, I tread quietly. They’re talking and laughing and the foul scent of cigarette smoke wafts past me in the breeze. From the corner of my eye, I spot Julia and Tyler sharing a butt as they cling together under the large plastic orange slide. Nino’s holding court and Tyler’s laughing at something Nino has said and Jon, well Jon just stands there, looking bored.
Why is he with them? My heart sinks. I thought Jon was different.
Tyler’s eyes flicker my way; immediately I pick up my pace.
“Hey!” someone yells.
I don’t answer.
“Where do you think you’re goin’, ya fat cow?” Nino hollers, as he jogs up beside me followed by Julia and Tyler.
“Home,” I say, not stopping.
Nino jumps into my path. “Where’s your girlfriend, Savullo?” He sneers and spits a snotty gob at my feet.
“Lesbo freak,” Julia chimes in and flicks a butt at my face.

It bounces off my chin with a burning sting. I glare down at her with her hawkish nose and eyes that are too close together. “Get out of my way,” I growl through gritted teeth and try to step around them, but Tyler grabs my elbow, his fingers bite into my flesh and a small groan escapes me.
“We’re not done talkin’ yet, hippo,” he snarls.
I yank free. Tears sting my eyes and the heat of anger and embarrassment reddens my face.

“Leave me alone!” I scream and push. Tyler’s tall, but skinny and I manage to knock him on his ass. But as soon as I take a step, Nino and Julia are on me.
“Leave her alone,” Jon calls. He hung back from the action and is still standing by the orange slide.
I slam a shoulder into Julia’s face and hear a crunch as my bulk meets her nose. Blood spurts and the purple blur of manicured nails flash past, as she whips a hand to her face.
She gazes up at me in surprise. “You broke my nose, you bitch!” Then she looks at Tyler with eyes that say “you better do something about this.”
My heart beats so hard, the swishing of blood in my ears is a roar. They’re swearing, yelling and threatening me, but panic has taken over as adrenaline pushes into my veins, and I make out nothing coherent.
I turn and try to run back the way I’d come. But another hand is on me, biting the flesh of my upper arm through the fabric of my jacket. Then a fist smashes into the back of my head. “You’re nothin’ but a fat dyke.”
My knees smack the gritty concrete as my legs buckle, and deep heaving sobs erupt from me. Why do they hate me?
“Where the hell did she go?” Nino asks, his voice laced with astonishment.
“Holy shit!” Julia and Tyler exclaim at the same time. “What the…?”
Slowly, I pivot and look at them. They’re turning in circles, searching for me.
Jon is with them now. “She’s gone,” he whispers in wide-eyed disbelief.
“What? How?” Nino asks.
I creep away on elastic legs.

oldswirl

Thanks Jeanne for stopping by and for showing us a peak at Invisible!

Ashley Suzanne

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that I've read and reviewed Invisible on Goodreads, and gave it five stars. I thought it was a great read - sad and funny at the same time, structurally neat (can you tell I'm also an editor?)and pacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book yet. But I'm looking forward to. I loved the excerpt.

    Thanks for being part of the Tour!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing some your thoughts!