Here are a few helpful tips to guide you through the next 101 days of things you can do with a slow cooker.
1. To make clean-up easier, spray the inside of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray before adding ingredients.
2. To test the cooking temperature of a slow cooker, fill it 3/4 full of water, cover, and turn on high heat for 4 hours. With an instant heat thermometer, test water temperature immediately after lid is removed. Temperature should be at least 180 degrees. If the temperature is lower, we recommend replacing the slow cooker. If it is higher, check all recipes for doness after 3 hours of cooking time.
3. As a general rule, lifting the lid off the slow cooker lengthens the cooking time by 30 minutes to an hour.
4. Stirring is generally not necessary until time to serve.
5. Your slow cooker should be at least 1/2 full to ensure proper cooking.
6. Recipes that contain raw poultry or beef should cook a minimum of 3 hours on high heat. Combinations of raw meat and fresh vegetables should cook at least 4 hours on high heat.
7. Adapting favorite oven recipes to a slow cooker:
|15-30 mins.||1 1/2-2 hours||4-6 hours|
|35-40 mins.||3-4 hours||6-10 hours|
|50 mins.-3 hours||4-6 hours||8-18 hours|